We help many constituents navigate problems with low income housing vouchers, federal loan programs and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. If individuals are experiencing issues with a home mortgage, there are three agencies that may be able to provide homeowners with guidance and/or assistance concerning their mortgage loans and their mortgage lenders.

  1. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides assistance to Veteran and Service Member homeowners, including those without a VA guaranteed loan. The national toll-free number is 1-877-827-3702.  For more information on VA specific programs click here.
  2. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides assistance to homeowners, whether they have a VA, FHA or Conventional home loan, through the agency's Making Home Affordable program. The national toll-free number is 1-888-995-4673 and their website is www.MakingHomeAffordable.gov.
  3. The newly developed agency, U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), assists consumers will all types of financial issues, including mortgage loan problems. The national toll-free number is 1-855-411-2372 and their website is www.ConsumerFinance.gov.

Although we cannot order an agency to decide a matter in your favor, we can ensure that your case is treated fairly and expeditiously. Once you have contacted my office regarding your case, you might be asked to fill out a privacy release form and send it to:

The Honorable Joe Barton
6001 West I-20, Suite 200
Arlington, Texas 76017-2811


Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What is the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and what do they do?
A:The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is the Federal agency responsible for national policy and programs that address America's housing needs, that improve and develop the Nation's communities, and enforce fair housing laws. Although HUD administers many programs, its major functions may be grouped into six categories:

  • Insuring mortgages for single-family and multi-family dwellings, and extending loans for home improvement and for purchasing mobile homes
  • Channeling funds from investors into the mortgage industry through the Government National Mortgage Association
  • Making direct loans for construction or rehabilitation of housing projects for the elderly and handicapped
  • Providing Federal housing subsidies for low and moderate-income families
  • Providing grants to States and communities for community development activities; and
  • Promoting and enforcing fair housing and equal housing opportunities. 


Q: How can I find a HUD-approved housing counseling agency?
A: HUD has a toll-free housing counseling referral service that provides potential homebuyers, homeowners, and renters with the names and telephone numbers of their nearest HUD approved housing counseling agencies. You can also find a couseling agency online by clicking here.

Services provided by the agencies include: first time homebuyer information, mortgage default and delinquency counseling, reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling, financial management and property maintenance guidelines.

Toll-Free Housing Referral Service
1-800-358-6216 (TDD) 

Stay Connected

Use the form below to sign up for my newsletter and get the latest news and updates directly to your inbox.